patent issue

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Hi there,

You're saying that fleXdoc depends on a feature of Word that will be removed. 

Could you please elaborate on that and let us know which feature are you talking about? I see that you're using OXML SDK. So, will part of the SDK will be removed because of that patent dispute?

thanks

stefano

Coordinator
Mar 17, 2010 at 12:06 PM

The patent infringing feature is called custom XML. This article describes exactly what it is: http://blogs.technet.com/gray_knowlton/archive/2009/12/23/what-is-custom-xml-and-the-impact-of-the-i4i-judgment-on-word.aspx

The Open XML SDK 2.0 (which has recently been released) still contains support for reading/creating documents containing custom XML (probably not an issue). fleXdoc as-is currently depends heavilly on custom XML, so fleXdoc as-is cannot be considered a long-term solution.

However... I am currently looking into options of using a different feature of Word (content controls) to achieve the same results. Don't expect it too soon, since EU-version of Word that is currently being sold still contains the custom XML feature, so no direct need for me personally. And since I don't make a single dime on fleXdoc... ;)

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Thanks Robert. Perfectly understandable :)